You are hereHome ›
South-West Review bulletin board July 6, 2014
The POW MIA 1955 Chevy Dragster will be in the parking lot from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, July 17 at the VFW in Mendota.
The tribute car, which was built and is owned by Vietnam vet Max Loffgren from California, has the names of all the POWs and MIAs from Vietnam written on the car in the chronological order of when they went missing. Loffgren was at the Back to the 50’s event in 2013 and is coming to the Twin Cities once again to be at the State Fairgrounds for Car Craft Summer Nationals from July 18 to 20. AmVets Post 1 in Mendota is celebrating it founding, which was July 17th, 1982, and is the major sponsor of bringing the car back to St. Paul.
In honor of their anniversary, they will have the tribute car and other classic cars in the VFW parking lot and serving food and refreshments. The 1955 Chevy has a 1,000 horsepower engine and Max will start it up a few times while he is there.
South St. Paul Sings
It is not too late to sign up for South St. Paul Sings. The South St. Paul Mayor’s Youth Task Force is teaming up with the South St. Paul Public Library in hosting a vocal competition on Thursday, July 10 starting at 6:30 pm at the South St. Paul Public Library, 106 Third Ave. South St. Paul Sings is part of the statewide competition, Minnesota Sings, which is seeking 60 cities around the state of Minnesota to compete. Each community is asked to host a contest and select one individual to participate at a competition in Saint Paul on Sept. 28. More than $4,500 in prizes will be awarded at the Minnesota competition. The SSP Sings competition is open to ages 15-25. There is no cost to participate, but participants must register. Registration forms are available at South St. Paul City Hall, the library, Minnesota Music Factory and by contacting Deb Griffith at 651-554-3230 or email@example.com.
Events from Dodge Nature Center include:
• Wine tasting: Taste a selection of Sunfish Cellar’s fabulous organic, biodynamic and sustainably—produced wines and enjoy hors d’oeuvres with other Dodge enthusiasts at the annual wine tasting open house 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Sunfish Cellars, 803 Sibley Memorial Highway, Lilydale. It’s free. Register online at www.dodgenaturecenter.org.
• Dodge Nature Preschool Alumni Gathering 5 pm. to 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 23 at Dodge Nature Preschool, 1715 Charlton St. West St. Paul. It’s free.
Oak, Willow and Spruce Room Alumni and their families are invited to join. Bring a picnic dinner and a blanket. Dodge will provide ice cream dessert. RSVP at www.dodgenaturecenter.org.
• Summer Camp 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 16 to Aug. 8. Camp registration is now open. At Dodge Nature Center’s Adventures in Nature Summer Day Camp, children will gain an appreciation for nature while participating in recreational, nature, and agriculture-based programs. Dodge Nature Center offers camps for children entering preschool through grade 5, camps for middle school students, and a family camp.
• Summer Dance Series: Moving with the Natural World 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. July 8 at the Dodge Nature Center main entrance at 365 Marie Ave. West in West St. Paul. $12 per adult. Experience the beautiful prairie at Dodge Nature Center in a new way — through movement.
• Nature After Dinner — Volcanoes Rock: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. July 10 at the Dodge Nature Center. $5 per child. Come play with some volcano models and use them to better understand the rocks made by volcanoes. This parent—child program is designed for kids ages 3 to 8. Pre-registration is required.
• Universe in the Park: 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. on July 11 at the center’s farm entrance at 1701 Charlton St. in West St. Paul. It’s free. Join astronomers from the University of Minnesota as they share their telescopes and knowledge of the heavens at this free event.
• Open House at the Farm: 9 a.m. to noon July 12 at the farm entrance, 1701 Charlton St. in West ST. Paul. It’s free. Sheep, cows, pigs, chickens and more are awaiting your visit to the Dodge Nature Center farm. Learn about the farm and the farm animals, gardens and beehives as you wander from one farm area to another.